Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Creating Traditions

My brother came to visit over the weekend. He moved to Boston from Florida a few months ago, and made the trip to Upstate New York to hang out with his big sister. We had a lovely time; it was a nice treat as we had not seen each other in over a year.

While he was here, he asked me an interesting question about my blog. He wanted to know why it's called "G*d's Love" instead of "God's Love". Since I frequently write my creator's name as "G*d" or "G-d" in reverance, I was surprised. Funny how you assume everyone knows what you know (or how you forget that everyone doesn't how what you do).

In any case, it's from Jewish tradition. Not writing God's name is a way to honor
God and God's holiness. Kinda like Christians writing God's name with a capital G, versus when we write about one of the Hindu gods (little g) like Shiva.

Tradition is a powerful thing, and my sister has taught me a bit about creating one's own. Having more reverence with G-d is one I created for myself.

No comments: