Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I *Hate* It!

I was duped.
I bought the hype.

UGH!

My old palm pilot died, and I got a Centro SmartPhone to replace it. Good thing it has a 30 day return policy because I hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

So much so that I bought a "regular" Palm- a Tungsten E2 instead. I'm taking the Centro back tomorrow.

My top 5 reasons for hating the Centro:
1. No graffiti ("writing" on the palm, which allows one to use sticky notes and jot notes)
2. The only way to input text is via a keyboard that's the size of my thumb. Yep, the WHOLE keyboard. Gimme a break!
3. Every time I talked on the phone, my ear touching the screen turned the damn thing off. Yeah, I disabled that feature, but what a stupid feature!
4. It lost nearly all of its charge overnight. And no, I wasn't on the phone. I charged it to 100% and the next morning, the stupid thing wouldn't turn on the charge was so low.
5. I *still* don't know what the ON button does, since the END button turns the thing off and on.


Of course, if you're really into having email and the web at your fingertips 24/7, in addition to having your address book and a phone, then the Centro may be for you. I'm more interested in the other features, like being able to make notations quickly and easily. In my world, typing on a thumb-sized keyboard is neither quick nor easy. True, I have gotten faster in the week that I've used the Centro, but graffiti/writing lets you have shortcuts so I can type in CAB for Community Accountability Board- a board I'm on that meets bimonthly, etc.

So now I'm back to having a mobile phone and palm pilot separately. Not as tiny, but infinitely more satisfying.

4 comments:

BiblioDiva said...

Wasn't the keyboard the size of your thumb when you bought it?

I see people typing away on those things and I wonder how in the world do they use those things? And so what if you have two devices. If that works for you, it works for you. Go with it.

sheree said...

Yes, the keyboard was that size when I bought it!

But, you miss the point, which is that I thought I could use the writing method (graffiti). If I input via writing, WHO CARES how big or little the keyboard is.
The little man at the store told me I could download graffiti to the phone but he was wrong!

BiblioDiva said...

They didn't let you try it out in the store?

Oh, wait...the little man at the store told you could download graffiti.

When you returned it, did you speak with the little man?

sheree said...

Try it out in the store? A mobile phone? Hmm. If it's not connected, how would you make a call? How would you know about the glitches? I think it's like shoes- you don't *really* know if they are comfortable until you take them home and walk around on carpeting or rugs for a few days.

And yeah, he was there. And I spoke with him. His comment: "It's not for everybody."