Saturday, October 6, 2007

Zoo, anyone?

Last weekend was a wonder. The gf's birthday was Sunday, and to celebrate, we went to the Bronx Zoo. In any case, I hadn't been to the Bronx Zoo since I was 4 or 5; what a riot. Of course, if my back had not been bothering me it would've been even more fun.

The biggest thing I learned at the zoo is that the gf reads every (every!) sign on the displays. And looks at me like I'm a nimrod when I ask things that I could've read- like "Why is that animal sitting like that?" Hmm, clearly the sign told us that it's hind legs have evolved, blah, blah, blah. And yes, she actually reads the Sunday paper while I go straight for the comic strips and circulars...

In addition to learning that I'm a lazy reader at the zoo, I took some pictures:

Hephalumps! The gf's favorite.
(Taken while we were on the monorail. Cool, huh?)

And a sleeping polar bear. I should mention that it was 85F that day. At the end of September. In the Bronx. Poor Polar Bear.


This guy cracked me up. Just stood there, patiently (and majestically, I might add) waited while the clumsy papparazzi got what they needed.


These turtles were a riot. The middle one kept pushing the turtle in front - like it was angry at him or something. And yes, I found that funny to watch. I tried to catch it mid-push, but no luck.



In the butterfly garden


More turtles. This time, in a pond (well, running away from the pond)


Some cousins of the deer.


And last, but not least, the Okapi. I'm fascinated by these animals. I'd never seen one before. Striped legs like a zebra. Dark body like a horse or donkey. But actually related to the girrafe.


I know it's hard to see the photos. Here's a better image.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sam is lying JUST like that polar bear right now! It is not, however, hot here! :)

BiblioDiva said...

Hefalumps! Hurrah!