Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Pitiful, I Know

Oh, I need new coats too. Notice the plural, as in more than one.

My coat inventory includes:
*a London Fog trench coat I bought at Good Will last year for $10
*an LL Bean field coat I bought when I moved to Boston in 1997
*an LL Bean parka I bought when I lived Western Mass and was playing in the snows of New Hampshire (circa 1995)
*a Peacoat I bought my first year of college. Yeah, in 1984.

I guess I've gotten my money's worth, but it's really time- ok past time- to buy a coat or 2.

Oh, I forgot about my current "dress coat:"
*a wool Herringbone coat that belonged to my paternal grandfather who passed away when I was in 6th grade (c.1978). And it had belonged to one of his sons before that.

And as sad as it is, that really is my coat inventory. I have 2 fleece cardigans and a fleece anorak (won at a raffle in my Western Mass days) as well as 2 or 3 cotton jackets for Spring and Summer. I know, pitiful.

But, I figured out that I can squeeze another year out of the field coat if I cut the cuffs off and reattach them because they are so frayed. And I've ordered a nice wool coat from LL Bean. It will serve as my new "dress coat" and since I'm trying to look like a grown-up these days, I'll probably wear it several times a week. I haven't had much luck looking in brick and mortar stores, so I'm doing the mail order thing.

Once I have the coat, I'll take a picture. I've ordered red!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

My parents bought me a red wool coat at Saks Fifth Avenue during winter break freshman year, because "coats they sell in the south are too light" for MHC weather. We ran into my SA, Jenny, while there. I loved the heck out of that good dress coat. I loved wearing it with jeans and Bean boots to class. I loved wearing it over work clothes to my job at the museum after I graduated.

Now, I own a black coat that came from Dillards. It's not heavy enough to walk to the pizza place that's 8 blocks from home. The buttons don't overlap the coat enough -- is there a word for that? I don't love it.

Good luck!