Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Highway Robbery

The gf and I have a membership to one of those giant wholesale clubs. The one near my house Upstate has a gas station. This is nice since gas for members is cheaper than for nonmembers.

I bought gas last night. Pump #1 told me that my card is expired so the pump defaulted to market price (#3.36/gallon). My card expires in March of 2009. This same pump did the same thing 2 weeks ago. I pumped nearly 2 gallons befored it occurred to me to try a different pump.

Last night, pump #8 accepted my card just fine and charged me the member price of $3.25. The nice young male attendant indicated to me that the store knew about the problem with that pump (and one other, incidentally), but that they didn't do anything about it.

I called the store this morning, because, frankly, this is tantamount to stealing. The manager didn't seem to know anything about the problem and promised he'd look into it. Honestly, if it happened to me twice, how long has it been a problem? And how many people have been erroneously overcharged?

No comments: