Friday, February 15, 2008

Pig Uterus, Anyone?

On Colvin Avenue in Albany is the Asian grocery store (called "Asian Grocery") I like. It's where I get nori and rice for sushi, the ginger drink I often have with breakfast, and inexpensive veggies.

On my last visit, I ventured past the tanks of live fish (and lobsters and turtles) to the fresh meat. Lots of pork, including fresh neck bones. Since I've only been able to find frozen ones here, I was thrilled. Southerner that I am, what's a pot of black-eyed peas without neck bones?

Tonight I actually bought some. Yippee! I also looked at some of the other offerings. No chitterlings but they did have pork stomachs (hog maws) whole ducks, chicken feet, pork hearts (2 to a pack) and packages of pig uterus.

I've eaten (and enjoyed) my fair share of porcine large intestines, but the uterus? Oh my. And can I tell you it was white and gelatinous looking? It looked, well, "springy."

So curious was I about pig uterus that I did an on-line search and found this. Scroll down to "Number 1 Scariest Food to be had at Ranch 99." It had me laughing out loud.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad it was not dinner time when I followed that link! :)

sheree said...

Oops! Sorry, sorry.

It was funny, though!