Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Recipes

I received BiblioDiva's recipes in the mail yesterday. The idea was that the loser of the wager would send 20 recipes to the winner. Recipes that the winner would likely enjoy. So, what'd she send? More than 20 recipes, for starters, including a couple for biscuits, several for desserts (including a few chocolate chip cookies and a pound cake), and a few main dishes.

The most memorable, however, are from the same cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens Junior Cook Book for Beginning Cooks of All Ages (published before I was born, I'm sure).



Recipe #1: According to the cookbook, "Individual meat loaves made with ground beef are shaped around wooden skewers and called Everyday Drumsticks. The whole family will enjoy this new and different mealtime idea."




Recipe #2: Here's the list of ingredients for Strawberry Pineapple Freeze.

1-10oz package frozen strawberries, thawed
1-8.75oz can crushed pineapple
1 cup strawberry-flavored yogurt
0.25 cup sifted powdered sugar
3 pineapple rings
lettuce

And here's the photo:


Yes, folks, it seems that BiblioDiva really is trying to kill chubby little me. Miniature meat loaves on sticks? And where's the cool whip for the strawberry pineapple thingy? And do I really have to cut it into wedges like that and serve it on iceberg lettuce?

Next time you're in metroDC, call BiblioDiva and ask her to cook you a meal...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like a food that *definitely* needs to be served ON the lettuce. I think I had a later version of that kids' cookbook.

BiblioDiva said...

I made both of those things when I was a little kid. I think for the same meal.

At the time, I thought those meatloaves on a stick were the best thing ever!

And Cass is right...you gotta' serve that salad on lettuce. There's no other way to present it.

sheree said...

Yeah, but did ya notice that she emphasized definitely?! And I'm not so sure how much confidence I have in your childhood opinion. After all, we are seventies generation, wearers of plaid, bell-bottom pants!

Iceberg lettuce. Harrumph, I say. I don't even BUY iceberg lettuce. Can I put it on a bed of arugula or mixed greens instead?

Lisa said...

Sibling and I had that book!! I still use it for french toast and oatmeal cookies!! Also good: the one where you make ice cubes out of drink mix (like kool ade) and put them in ginger ale, I think.

BiblioDiva said...

See! Lisa is still using this book!

Sheree, the next time you visit, I'll make dinner and only use recipes from that book.