Sunday, June 8, 2008

Friendly Knitting, Part I

Today I went to my office to catch up on paper- and lab-work. I was excited to finish, because I wanted to go to a local yarn shop which I learned about on Ravelry. The shop has a lovely website and I was eager to check it out, and perhaps even to pick up a nice pattern book or novelty item.

HOWEVER (and you knew this was coming, right?), that didn't happen. Oh, I made it to the shop with no problem. Mapquest was accurate, for once.

It was a small, homey shop just as I'd expected. It was even busy- full of women sitting in comfy chairs and on sofas, knitting. 2 young women entered the shop just before me, full of purpose: one of them needed help with a project.

I strolled in, and began looking around. The shop has adorable buttons and some metal needles I hope to get in the not-too-distant future. But not one of those women spoke to me. And no, I didn't sit down and try to engage anyone in conversation. I did loiter a bit, hoping to be noticed. Alas, everyone was too busy with their own project/conversation.

I didn't find yarn I felt compelled to buy. I'm not ready for the metal needles. I don't need buttons. So, I left.

There are a couple of other yarn shops in the area. I'll check them out too, just to see what other my other options are. Maybe I'll find someplace a little less busy and less, well, intimidating.

2 comments:

Michelle F said...

Well that stinks - nothing worse than going someplace that you are excited to check out and have the staff ignore you - although the LYS I go to does have one staff member who is the opposite and is an obnoxious stalker - although I am a bit biassed as I used to work there and still run worksops there......

sheree said...

Hmm, I guess I would rather be left alone than stalked. Although I still think someone could've said hello.