Monday, March 26, 2007

Me? An Odd Child?

Someone in my life recently suggested that I was an "odd" kid. I beg to differ. In fact, I am convinced that I was pretty typical.

And here are some of the things I thought about then:

*naming triplet girls April, May and June
*changing my name to Jayne Dough
*aspiring to be the person in my town who got to name new streets

and the enduring question:
"Why do we say puppy dog and kitty cat but not baby person?"


So decades later I ask, are those the questions of an odd child?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Small children, like dogs, smell fear on me. I am awkward around them and don't know what to say. They stare back at me, wide-eyed. Sometimes, I say, "Well hello little person" or "little one" -- but never "baby person." Hmm.

sheree said...

If they're really little, like 4 or under, you can always comment about something they have on: "You have a BUTTERFLY" on your shirt!" or "Oh, wow, your SHOES light up! Can I have them? We can trade, ok?"

And yeah, I realize that everyone who knows me can hear my voice saying each of the above phrases, sincerely.