Friday, April 27, 2007

Knee, or Just a Jerk?

I was asked to write an article discussing my opinion about Don Imus' remarks about the Rutgers Scarlet Knights. Mind you, I wasn't asked as a result of how vocal I'd been in my opinion, but because I'm a brown grrl. Now before you get your knickers in a twist, the asker is my minister. Larry is a middle class white guy, and I think his motivation had to do with our particular congregation and how they'd receive remarks from him. He's what some might call, hmm, a "knee jerk liberal." You know, the kind of guy who understands white and male privilege; the kind of person who understands how oppression against one group feeds oppression of another.

The congregation mostly "gets" this, I think. But sometimes, hearing something from someone besides Larry is good for them- even if they say exactly what he would've said.

Fast forward, then, to me writing about Imus. Surprisingly enough, most of my thoughts were not so much about racism, but about that this guy is 66 years old, and he picked on a group of accomplished athletes, most of whom aren't even 21. Gimme a break. How pathetic is that?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you give the speech? How did it go?

sheree said...

It wasn't a speech, it was an article. It was for our monthly church newletter.

BiblioDiva said...

Will you post the article to your blog? I would like to read it.